When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother what will I be? Will I be pretty, Will I be rich .....Sorry but thats another story, back to ours...
When I was just a little girl, I would gorge on chocolates, biscuits...and bournvita. Just the plain good old powder. My cousin and I would not only have milk with bournvita thrice a day (we were addicted to both milk and bournvita. I still am!), but also secretly eat bournvita powder direct from the jar. We must have emptied quite a number of bournvita jars before, one fine afternoon, my mom inevitably caught us both and we got a good scolding...but that didnt decrease our love for Bounvita, after a couple of days, wie yielded again to temptation and were back to square one.
I have been thinking about this cute little incident since the morning and with these fond memories, decided to bake these bournvita cookies. I am more than happy with the outcome – I am gonna bake them again soon.
8 tbsp - whole wheat flour
4 tbsp - sunflower oil
3 tbsp - bournvita
1 tbsp - cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/4 tsp - bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tbsp - hazelnuts, finely crushed
1/2 tbsp - chocolate chips
1 tbsp - muscovado sugar (low sugar version...use 3-4 tbsp for normal sweetness)
1 tbsp - honey
5 tbsp - low fat milk
1/4 tsp - vanilla essence
8 pieces - mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 190 degree C and line the baking tray with a baking paper.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, bournvita, bicarbonate of soda, hazelnuts, choco chips in a bowl and mix.
- In another bowl, mix together the milk, oil, vanilla essence, honey and sugar.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix lightly with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix
- Place a spoon full of the mixture on the lined baking tray keeping sufficient distance between each.
- Place the tray in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Take out the tray and make a hollow in the centre of each cookie, with a handle of a spoon.
- Fill the hollows with the mini marshmallows and return back the baking tray in the oven for about 30- 45 seconds or until the marshmallows has softened.
- Leave to cool the cookies in the baking tray for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
The cookies are soft and mildly sweet... and obviously bournvita makes these cookies a hit:)