Monday, December 7, 2009

Spinach Coriander Chive Bread



Having widened my horizons from eating just white toast bread until a couple of years ago, to the wonderful wide world of the almost endless varieties of this very versatile staple, all the way to starting baking bread myself a few months ago, I'm pretty new to the bread baking businesss. 

However, after starting late, I have caught on with fervor, and love trying out new variations. Whenever I bake bread, and see it rising in the oven, my heart does a little tapdance and a smile visits my face. 

I started with standard bread recipes, and this was my first own variation. It turned out to be a hit with the neighbours and my hubby, and I hope you like it too! 

Ingredients                         

100 gram - all purpose flour 
100 gram - whole wheat flour 
10 tbsp - low fat milk
1 1/2 tbsp - sunflower oil 
1 tsp - dried yeast 
1/2 tsp - white sugar 
3/4 tsp - salt 
2 tbsp - chives, finely chopped 
2 tbsp - coriander leaves, finely chopped 
3 tbsp - spinach, shredded 
some milk to brush the bread 
a few assorted seeds to sprinkle on the bread (pumpkin, sesame, sunflower etc) 

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degree C and grease a baking tray. 
  2. Place the milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl. Mix well and leave in a warm place until frothy, about 10 - 15 minutes 
  3. Sift the flours, chives, coriander leaves, spinach and salt into a bowl. Rub in the oil until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. 
  4. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and mix to form a soft but manageable dough( add 1 tbsp of flour at a time, if the dough is too sticky, but avoid adding too much of flour). 
  5. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until double in size (about an hr).
  6. Turn out onto a floured surface, knead again lightly and shape the dough into a loaf. 
  7. Allow the loaves to rest on a greased baking tray, covered loosely with a plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place until it doubles in size. 
  8. Remove the plastic wrap. Brush the top of the loaves with some milk and sprinkle the seeds. 
  9. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. 
  10. Allow to cool on a wire rack completely. 
Makes 4 small buns




    Enjoy!

    5 comments:

    1. Wow indeed!That looks so good!You know what,Foodista announced that they are going to publish the best food blogs in a full color book that will be published by Andrews McMeel Publishing this Fall 2010. You have some really great recipes and I thought how great it would be if you could join in this event! You can find out more about it at this link.Sorry I had to leave this message here.I wanted to email you but couldn't find it,so I dropped this one instead. Hope you do join. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hello my friend
      thanks so much for the link, I am loving this bread and am going to try it very soon.
      thanks again.Arlette

      ReplyDelete
    3. OMG this sounds and looks delicious!!!

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails