We really gorge on the goodies in December, and its beginning to show on our waistlines. But thats the advantage of winter, with the thick warm clothes covering up a bit for the flab.
Happiness increases when celebrated, and a celebration without something sweet loses its essence - at least for us. But of course, at the last moment, the voice of reason and the pangs of conscience kicked in - so I converted the recipe to a NoBO one - No Butter and Oil!
3 tbsp heaped - whole wheat flour
1 tbsp - crushed oat flakes and hazelnuts
3 tbsp - muscovado sugar ( low sugar version... use 5-6 tbsp for normal sweetness)
4 tbsp - apple strawberry puree
4 tbsp - nutella
2 tbsp - cocoa powder (sweetened)
3 tbsp - low fat milk
1/4 tsp - bicarbonate of soda
1/4 cup - chopped fresh strawberries
a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C and line a cupcake tray with 7 paper cases.
- Place the sugar, apple strawberry puree, nutella and milk in a bowl and mix well.
- Whisk together the flour, oats hazelnuts mixture, salt, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Fold in the strawberries. Mix very lightly with a rubber/silicon spatula. Do not overmix
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, filling three quarters.
- Place the tray in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 20 - 23 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the cupcake upside down with some strawberries and chocolate sauce.
I used this apple strawberry puree. You can use a homemade apple puree as well.
I trimmed the edges and served the cupcakes upside down with some fresh strawberries and some chocolate sauce.
Enjoy and have a Merry Christmas!