Friday, December 11, 2009

Roasted Hokkaido Pumpkin Parathas

For some strange reason, both my hubby and me grew up in households where pumpkins were not, to put it very mildly, the favourite vegetable. The first time I remember having pumpkin was after coming to Germany. Since then, the pumpkin has taken its rightful place as an average regular vegetable on our tables. This led to a few raised eyebrows as well as a few raised nosetips when my family heard of it...but as long as it tastes fine...


This being the season of the Hokkaido pumpkin, and halloween having gone by without depleting the worldwide stock of pumpkins to any significant extent, I decided to do my bit and get onto the pumpkin carriage...I mean bandwagon.

As the hokkaido (weighed around 750 grams) was too big for a single dish for two, I used it to make a yummy soup (coming soon! keep reading!) as well as these Parathas. 

Ingredients                    

1/2 of hokkaido pumpkin , washed and roughly diced
1 - carrot , washed, peeled and roughly chopped
1 - green chilli, finely chopped
1 inch of ginger, finely chopped
3/4 Cup - whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp - salt (more or less)
1/2 tsp - cumin powder
1/4 tsp - red chilli powder
1/4 tsp - garam masala powder
a little olive oil to brush the pumpkin and carrot
a little ghee(clarified butter) to brush the dough
a little ghee(clarified butter) to brush the parathas(optional)

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
  2. Place the roughly diced pumpkin and carrot in a baking tray and sprinkle a little salt and brush them with olive oil.
  3. Place the baking tray in the centre of the preheated oven and roast.
  4. Remove the tray when the vegetables are soft( it took around 40 minutes in my oven)
  5. Peel off the skin of the pumpkin and mash the vegetables. Add the rest of the ingredients to the mashed vegetables and knead.(I didn't require any water to knead the dough, but use 1 tsp of water at a time, if required)
  6. Brush the dough with a little ghee and knead again for a minute. Cover with a moist cloth and set for half an hour.
  7. Knead again and divide the dough into 7 equal parts. Shape each into a ball and slightly flatten them and roll out into thick parathas.
  8. Cook each paratha on both sides on a non stick pan, brushing a little ghee on each sides(optional), until brown spots appear on the surface.
  9. Serve hot.
Makes 7 small parathas









    Isn't the transformation worth the effort? We had the parathas with cucumber raita and absolutely loved  it.
    Enjoy!

    6 comments:

    1. Woa ! Great stuff bhabhi ! Need to visit germany ! Mom and myself cant resist the parathas and compliments on thsi initiative... Grat work bhabhi.. Keep it going... We love it....

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for your wishes Nitin bhaiya, am glad u liked it.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks for the lovely recipe.I have used pumpkin in pies, soup and even curry but never in paratha.I will surely try it.Thanks for dropping by my blog.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Nice and healthy chapathi...lovely color too.

      ReplyDelete
    5. That's such an innovative paratha!! I love pumpking, and this is a novel way of using it..Hey I just saw that you are currently in Munich..My cousin sister is also in Munich right now, she got there about 2 months ago..She keeps telling me that its really difficult to buy stuff there as everything is written in German..she has a 11 month old baby and is struggling there!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Wow.. what innovation. Will try this one definitely.

      I made the gatta curry and loved it.

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails