So, after spending half the night cleaning up, my kitchen looked again like "my" kitchen. And to celebrate the spring cleaning, I made these cookies today. As I have mentioned in a previous post, saffron is my absolute favourite spice. It combines very well with Almonds and Pistachios, the flavor as well as the colour.
140 gram - whole wheat flour (atta)
5 tbsp - sunflower oil
7 tbsp - low fat milk
6 tbsp - muscovado sugar / castor sugar
1/4 tsp - vanilla essence
1/4 cup - almonds, blanched and sliced thinly
1/4 cup - pistachio, coarsely powdered
1/4 tsp - bicarbonate of soda
a pinch of salt
Icing - 2 1/2 tbsp castor sugar, a few drops of warm milk and a few strands of saffron. (mix everything together)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degree C and line a baking tray.
- Mix together the oil, milk, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, almond slices pistachio, salt and bicaarbonate of soda.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the liquid mixture and mix lightly with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix.
- Scoop 1 tsp of the mixture and roll into balls. Place them on the lined baking tray, spaced well apart and flatten slightly.
- Place the tray in the centre of the oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a cookie, comes out clean.
- Let the cookies cool in the tray for 5 minutes and then transfer them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle the icing on the cookies. Leave to set.
These Cookies were ready in a jiffy, looked pretty, and were an absolute melt in the mouth...
These Cookies goes to Sara's Cakes and Cookies Event
and to Mahimaa's Kitchen Cakes and Cookies Event.