Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Fennel Soup

After a long long wait, the winter is, at last, in full swing. The last few days have been cold and full of snow, and I'm not complaining!


 A good soup does a wonderful job of warming one up from the inside in the winter - so I tired a new type of soup. I had, until now, never bought green fennel even though I am a big fan of fennel seeds.

 So i decided to give it a try, and it was a wonderful new flavour, spiced up with some star anis.

Ingredients 

1 medium size - green fennel, chopped (see how to cut fennel here)
1 medium size - onion, finely chopped
2 cloves - garlic
2 tsp - almonds, crushed roughly
2 cups - water (may need more)
1 - bayleaf
1/4 tsp - pepper powder
2 - star anise
1/4 cup - low fat milk
1 tsp - oil/butter
a pinch of nutmeg powder
a pinch of cinnamon powder
a pinch of sugar
salt to taste 

Method 
  1. Heat oil in a pan, add the bayleaf, onion, garlic and cook for a minute.
  2. Add the chopped fennel, almonds and water and cook until fennel is soft. Take off the heat and strain. Keep the Stock.
  3. When slightly cooled, discard the bayleaf and puree the cooked vegetables in a blender.
  4. Transfer the puree into a pan, add the milk, the stock and all the spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
  5. Serve hot, garnished with star anise. 
Servings - 4 







I am glad that i tried this vegetable, the soup  did come out really well:)

16 comments:

  1. Wow.........slurpy soup dear...perfect for weather....nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic,filling fennel soup looks yummy..will try out soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Rachana, tx for visiting me yaa and never heard of this soup.....am gonna try it today!!!!Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous..wish I could grab a bowl of that...It's snowing here...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome...perfect for the chilly winter. Nice clicks:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent used fennel in cooking yet,surely sounds interesting rachana....and thanks for this lovely recipe,will def try this one...and lovely clicks as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not worked with fennel greens yet, the soup looks great. Beautiful clicks. Keep rocking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Rachana,

    I like fennel seed's sweet licorice flavour' but didnt try my hands on fennel yet'...yep, same here -20 degrees today!!! Soup sounds warm and comforting...

    Have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have a nice blog you can visit my blog and give ur comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blog with lovely pics!!
    I am from Kolkata too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats an awesome dish!!!!
    First time here..cute space..Keep rocking

    ReplyDelete
  12. First time here.....u have a nice space....
    Never had this fresh fennel..looks quite different

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a beautiful bowl of soup! It sounds so healthy and tasty. I've never cooked fennel before, I'd love to give your recipe a try, thanks for sharing:)

    Also thank you for stopping by my blog and I'm so happy to hear that you'll participate in my giveaway, can't wait to see what you'll come up with:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey this has out too good. Nice authentic recipes. Do visit my blog when time permits http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soup is all we want in this weather....Ur header looks gud!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails