Starfruit does not only look good with desserts, it also has a very aromatic, mildly sour taste, which is very well complimented by the aromatic sweet taste of apple. We ate this dip with coriander-fenugreek muffins (recipe follows in the next post)
1 - starfruit/carambola, deseeded and finely chopped
1 - small size apple, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp - water
1 tbsp - ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp - raw mango, peeled and grated
1 tsp - sunflower oil
1/4 tsp - fennel seeds and nigella seeds (saunf and kalonji)
1/4 tsp - red chilli flakes (adjust according to taste)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
salt to taste
coriander leaves to garnish
- Cook the starfruit in the microwave for a minute. Add 1 tbsp of water and cook again for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped apples and cook again for a minute.
- Allow the cooked mixture to cool and then grind coarsely.
- Add oil in a bowl and cook for 15 seconds in the microwave. Add hing, saunf and kalonji, cook again for 45 seconds. Add the coarsely ground mixture, red chilli flakes, salt and raw mango and cook again for a minute.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.