Thursday, May 13, 2010

Daal Bati


As the spring continues to be cold and rainy, and the sunshine seems to be lost in the clouds, I needed something more hot and yummy to brighten the day up. What better than this favourite from my childhood, which was a regular on cold and rainy days...but beware, this is a calorie bomb, and just does not taste the same without a real lot of ghee.

Daal Bati is one of the most famous Rajasthani dishes - and there are many variations on the ways of making it as well as on fillings - dried fruits, gram flour, cottage cheese, Khoya (milk thickened until it reaches a cheesy consistency - for more details see here) etc.

The two most common ways of making the Bati is a tandoor or boiled and then fried in ghee. Well, I did not have a tandoor available, and the thought of deep frying the baatis in ghee (in addition to the ghee added later) made my hair stand on end, so I went with the third alternative - baking them in the oven. Obviously, the taste and texture varies slightly between the tandoor, fried and baked varieties.

The Daal I normally use for Daal-Bati is a special mix of five lentil sorts - toor, chana, moong, yellow moong and urad. The mixture as well as the spices used lend the Daal a very different and rich flavour.




Ingredients

For the bati

1 1/2 cup - whole wheat flour (atta)
3 tbsp - ghee (clarified butter)
2 tbsp - cream
a pinch of salt
a pinch of sugar
a generous pinch of bicarbonate of soda
milk to knead the dough

Method
  1. Mix together the flour, salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl. Add the ghee and cream into the flour mixture and rub till it resembles bread crumbs.
  2. Make a stiff dough using some milk.
  3. Divide the dough into five portions and shape them into small balls. Press the bati's slightly with the thumb on the top. 
  4. Preheat the oven to 200 degree C
  5. Place the bati's on the lined baking tray and place the tray in the center of the preheated oven and bake for approx 30 minutes or until done. 



For the daal

1/4 cup - split pigeon pea (toor/arhar daal)
1/4 cup - split bengal gram ( chana daal)
1/4 cup - green gram (sabut moong )
1/4 cup - split green gram skinless (moong daal)
2 tbsp - split black gram skinless (urad daal)
3-4 - cloves
3-4 - green cardamom
2 - bayleaves
a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp - turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp - red chilli powder (adjust according to your taste)
1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp - cumin seeds
1/2 tsp -  dried mango powder (amchur)
1/2 tsp - garam masala
1/4 tsp - sugar
1/4 tsp - dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
1 tbsp - ghee 
lemon juice (according to your taste)
salt to taste

Method 
  1. Wash and soak daals in some water for 2-3 hrs. Then drain and boil the daals in 2 1/2 cups of water with salt, haldi, mirchi and cumin seeds and cook until done. 
  2. Heat ghee in a pan. Add hing, cumin seeds, cloves, cardamoms and bayleaves. When cumin seeds start to splutter, add haldi, mirchi and the boiled daal and cook for 7-8 minutes.  Add the amchur, garam masala, sugar, kasuri methi and salt and cook again for a couple of minutes (add water if required)
  3. Add lemon juice and serve hot.


Our favourite way of eating the daal bati is crushing the batis while still hot into coarse chunks, and adding a generous sprinkling of castor sugar and a very generous dollop of ghee. 


Am off for a long weekend, so will see you on Monday again.

Enjoy!

60 comments:

  1. hey our traditional recipe.my mom/grandmom has been making these from ages now..we rajputs simply love it...we also add sooji and jowar flour in the batti and serve with dal and gatte ki sabji.thought of clicking it several times,but the battis r all done...wil post my version soon.ur battis too look delicious..crisp and brown and baked perfectly..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply love this dish but never tried making this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachana.

    Dal Bati looks really nice. I was planning to cook them. Now i got one nice recipe. I will try some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks awesome..its my dad's fav.. have a nice weekend.. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the truth is that I had never heard, but I think
    attempts to do so I'll tell you if I get half well and if we just the
    end result, thank you very much for showing new things
    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totally new to me but looks so delicious and healthy, thanks for sharing dear...

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my mom's sister married into a marwari family and makes the best baati's . I remember my summer vacations, going to her place and gorging on baatis and then finishing off with mango rus:-) this post brings back memories...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachana,Daal baati looks amazing..haven't made in a long time...really love it..along with churma..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried this but The dish looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks fro introducing the rajasthan'straditional dish.Daal bati both looks really delicious..the combination ids really good.the way u r eating makes the combo more tastier..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dal bati looks truly comforting..Thanks for sharing this delicious dish, lovely combination..Feel like having some..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like dal bhaati with churma ladoo... nice pics!Looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dal bati is something new to me...looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you have made a delicious lunch. Have a great weekend, enjoy. See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dhall baati looks absolutely mouthwatering, gonna fix this weekend itself...very tempting:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a wonderful long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Daal bati looks very delicious,that too baked bati sound very interseting and healthy.Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never tried this before, it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey thanks for a wonderful commnts in my blog....this recipe is something very new to me...first time im hearing this...and that too baking recipe is very interesting too....loved it...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well new dish and looking splendid too!Have a nice long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. baking it sounds so much more better!! never tried this at home. good clicks, rachna. and enjoi ur weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loooks very yummy and I love it.. ITs long time I did not do this..will surely make next week.. Seeing urs feel like having right away..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dhal baati looks so inviting with the dhal...very healthy too...thanks for sharing this awesome recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. yumm.. delicious daal bhati!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey this looks so tempting..really thax for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow..seems delicious...wud really like 2 try it out..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dal baati looks so inviting Rachna... Whenever I feel like having this wonderful combi meal I straight head out to authentic Rajasthani restaurant.
    Missed your last few posts as my Pc was out of order:-( Have a nice long weekend dear.....

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  28. Its mouth watering rachana wud love to have it ryt now :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Heard a lot abt this dish but till now havent got a chance to taste it or try it out...but looks delicious and worth trying one...thanks for sharing rachana..

    ReplyDelete
  30. Never tried this dish. Your dish looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had this first time after marriage; quite a marwadi specialty. totally agree with you - it has to be dipped in whole lot of ghee which just dint suit me. But my husband adores this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. nice clicks it looks very tasty too

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love these but have never made them... we have friends here whom we pester :)
    Your version looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  34. i just love this,,looks super delicious and awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  35. lovely and delicious recipe.. looks perfect.. thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. One of my best friends from school, Seema, was a Marwari and she'd often describe Daal-Baati to me, although I don't ever remember having it. Yours looks just as mouthwatering as I would have imagined it. I would love to try this soon-- thanks for the recipe, Rachana!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Rajasthani cuisine is absolutely mouth watering!
    I have tasted this before , and this one looks very tempting indeed!!
    Have a nice weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  38. daal bhati looks yum...never made this at home...thanks for sharing this...hv a wonderful weekend dear...tk care

    ReplyDelete
  39. This looks seriously comforting! I would love a bowl of it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Totally a new dish to a SountIndie like me..Interesting!!awesome clicks!!Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love Daal Bati! Last weekend a friend of mine made Bati choka UP style and I was blown away. It was a bit different from your version but I love all kinds of batis! :D

    ReplyDelete
  42. A new dish to me will try dis and will update u d taste soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Looks soo delectable and yummy. Never tried this one before, totally new to me. Love to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh yummy! With weather like this I think we definitely need some food consolation, no matter what the calories.

    ReplyDelete
  45. One of my favorites! Looks so yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  46. wow that looks really good... its very new to us from south.. we will definitely give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  47. So delicious, love the combi of lentils and the bati, have never had anything like this!!
    It sounds so delicious and its yet another recipe from u blog i sure wanna try soonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...

    ReplyDelete
  48. my knowledge of dal bati is limited only to blogosphere..and from wat I have seen, this looks great

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is definitely great to eat on a chilly day, nice combination.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Yummy.... it simply reminded me of our "Rajasthan Picnic." The Ghee is so yellow n nice. Dal looks yummy too. Awesome n 3 cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. First time coming across...interesting....
    Drop in sometime

    ReplyDelete
  52. my mother in law makes this but i don't coz I find it difficult to make. It looks so tempting. i am craving for it now. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Yum.This look so delicious.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  54. Rachna....i never tried daal baati nd it luks so yum...even the paneer dish :)
    those tulips r so refreshing :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. This is from A's native place (he is from jaipur) ;-) ... I have never made dal bati at home as I am not very fond of it myself. He is going to drool over these!

    ReplyDelete
  56. R I S H I B O Y E D17 February, 2011 08:24

    didi raj ka frnd - RISHI

    jb india ayengi toh mujhe
    dal bati jarur khilana + koi chocolate ka item bhi

    bataye kab aa rahin hai

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails