Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Spicy Spelt Spaghetti with Lime Leaves and Sesame.

This month started on a bad note. After a fearful and emotional 2 weeks, now things are slowly falling back into place.

Today, I am gonna share a simple one pot meal with you. The star ingredient of this recipe are kafir lime leaves. It's the highlight of the recipe - the dominant flavour and strong taste makes this spaghetti extra special. And, yes, sesame seeds enhanced the taste of this dish in their own special way.



All in all, I was very happy with the outcome and hope you like it too!


The ginger-garlic-chilli paste is often a life saver - or at least a great time saver ;-) Its easy to make, and you can keep it refrigerated for up to 6 months - and it adds a dash (or more!) of flavour and zing to any dish in a moment - I use it in Indian curries, pasta, savoury muffins and any other dish which needs to made spicy. If you like it really hot, you can easily increase (approx double) the amount of red chillies you use for the paste. 


Ingredients for the paste


35 grams - dried whole red chillies, soaked in some water for 2-3 hrs and then washed twice
115 grams - ginger, peeled and chopped
115 grams - garlic, peeled and chopped
12- 14 tbsp - sunflower oil
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp - vinegar


Add everything in a mixer and grind into a fine paste. Transfer into a glass jar and refrigerate for up to 6 months




Ingredients


100 gram - spelt spaghetti
3-4 - kafir lime leaves
3/4 tbsp - homemade chilli, garlic and ginger paste (more or less)
1/4 cup - red and yellow peppers, cut into squares
1/4 cup - carrots, cut into medium size pieces
1 - onion, cut into medium size squares
1/4 tsp + 1 tbsp - olive oil
1 tbsp - lemon juice (more or less)
1 tbsp - coriander leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp - sesame seeds to garnish
lemon slice to garnish




Method

  1. Add the spaghetti to the boiling water with 2 lime leaves, carrots, 1/4 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt.
  2. Drain the water when the spaghetti is done and discard the lime leaves.
  3. In an another non stick pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the homemade chilli-garlic-ginger paste and saute on a medium heat for a couple of minutes. (be careful as it will splutter) 
  4. Add the onions, peppers and lime leaves and cook until the onions are soft.
  5. Add the spaghetti, salt, pepper powder and coriander leaves and mix well. Remove from the heat.
  6. Sprinkle the lemon juice and mix well. 
  7. Garnish with a lemon slice and sesame seeds and serve.



Enjoy!

64 comments:

  1. Hi Rachana,

    Looks yummy and great dear...You have a surprise in my blog!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, look so colourful and yummy, I know I will like this recipe, immediate bookmarked your recipe. Thanks for sharing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fab.will surely try for my son...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one of those delectable dishes from your kitchen, Rachana... This is a treat, I loved it!!
    Have a wonderful week ahead:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious...nice color too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spicy splet spaghetti looks delicious.sorry to hear about the starting this month in bad note. Hope you and family are fine now. I like the idea of making garlic ginger red chili paste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks awesome,what lovely pics and very yummy spaghetti

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOOOOOW that looks super delicious and ur picture can make any one drool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am more excited about this paste than the spaghetti..:)

    6 months is awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thats a real shortcut and am loving it. the spagetti dish itself could be a life saver. tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so appetizing, delicious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the sauce and the addition of sesame seeds! gorgeous pic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so delicious and making me hungry....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy Asian-style pasta!! I love spelt pasta too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man...just love this dish, super yummmmmoooooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy ..colorful and delicious,tempting me a lot

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superb spelt spagetti...looks delicious Rachna...

    Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. omg...it looks yummmmmmmmmm.....wonderful recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks divine... love the addition of spicy ginger-garlic paste

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tempting Spagetti and lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This spaghetti sounds fantastic with the flavorful paste and the lime leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks really appetizing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woww such a droolworthy spaghetti, makes me truly hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks absolutely sumptuous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks totally awesome...love the addition of kafir lime leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have never thought of putting leaves in pasta. You intrigued me, I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Droolworthy dish..perfect for me ;) hey glad you like the song..one of my fav....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad you are past what you were going through... the dish looks picture perfect!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  29. looks superb..........yummy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks so tempting... Pics came out great too...

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks terrific. Light and flavorful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That looks so colorful & Yum!!!!! Loved the captures too delivering the flavors to us virtually..... WOW!!!!

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  33. very new and yummy recipe to me.i always make spagetti with storebought pasta sauce. will give a try soon

    ReplyDelete
  34. Rachana

    Thanks for the garlic/ginger paste recipe; I will make it and use it a lot! what a wonderful staple to have in one's fridge. Also I love this pasta dish, just love all the flavors, including the lime leaves. Just vaguely remember them as extremely fragrant but somewhat hard. Maybe I just got the frozen variety and I need to seek out the fresh ones. Dish is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  35. gr8 recipe!!! nice clicks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. mouthwatering spaghetti!!! nice clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's been ages since I got hold of some lime leaves...loved the flavors in the pasta..

    ReplyDelete
  38. Glad to hear things have gotten better. Your noodles look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  39. cette assiette de pâte est riche en saveurs et bien parfumée, difficile d'y résister
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  40. Une magnifique assiette de pâtes.
    Les couleurs sont magnifiques.
    Bonne soirée et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your platter looks fantastic..makes me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love the burst of colors and the sesame does make a wonderful topping. I have never tried lime leaves before. I need to go find them somewhere in the grocery.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Spaghetti looks colourful n very healthy food for all time dear.I like that peppers in the spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Colourful spaghetti and is so inviting. Adding sesame seeds is a twist. I like it.

    Hamsamalini Chandrasekeran,
    http://indianyummykitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Mmmm....looks very delicious. I love that you use spelt spaghetti. I have not seen it here. I have to look out for it again.

    ReplyDelete
  46. humm ton plat m'a l'air bien bon.. ;)
    J'adore tes photos!
    Bise & Bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow awesome flavor combination Rachna..Would'nt have thougt of using lime leaves and sesame seeds with spaghetti..Colorful and tempting clicks..Will try this for my kids..

    ReplyDelete
  48. I have never heard of Kafir Lime Leaves! but this dish is amazing! I love it and I'd like to order a bowl of it right now, please!

    and that mascarpone dessert in your last post...well, I'm Italian..and mascarpone and spaghetti!!! girl, I am all over your blog with drool! lol

    thanks so much for visiting me!

    ciao bella

    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wooooooooow, beautiful photos and foods, have a nice day Radka.

    ReplyDelete
  50. This looks absolutely delish, love the sesame seeds and kafir lime leaves in it.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Never used kafir lime leaves in any dish. Spaghetti looks delicious! Beautiful clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Spaghetti looks really tempting and nice presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  53. looks so delicious! kaffri limes must have added a wonderful lemony aroma to the dish

    ReplyDelete
  54. wow, very yummy! fabulous recipe.

    Win the $100 gift card giveaway sponsored by Shopbop! Open for everyone, US and International readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Yum! I love pasta with a lemony note (sadly I'm the only one in the family), so I always have to wait for a day when I'm cooking for myself. This will go on my try-out list!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I hope you are doing okay sweetie! This pasta dish looks fabulous. I love the sound of that ginger-chili paste!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I love pasta and Iam bookmarking it!!Looks yumm..Would have been aromatic

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails