Until a few years ago, I didn't know anything about cooking or baking or anything remotely connected to going near the kitchen. I wasn't interested in cooking at all before my marriage, maybe I didn't feel the need to learn to cook because my mom took care of that, and more importantly, I was so carefree and busy enjoying my time with my friends that I never bothered to learn to cook.
All I would do then was to stand in a corner of the kitchen and chat with my mom whilst she was cooking. And, now I realise, my subconscious mind had learned cooking then - just by looking at my mom cook.
After coming to Munich, I started cooking regularly and then I slowly started liking it. My hubby is a foodie, and, thanks to him, I tried my hand at lots of different and new types of cuisine, learning lots of new things. And then, one fine day, I told my hubby that I thought I should note down my recipes somewhere. And Veggi Fare was born.
It feels so good when others try out one's recipes, like them and tell one about it... the first time somebody wrote to me about how they loved a particular recipe they tried from this blog - I felt as if I had achieved the moon :-) The past year has been a wonderful journey, and all of you travelled bits of the road with me....thank you for that!
Today, I would love to share this chocolate cake recipe (what else could it be?) with you.
175 grams - whole wheat flour
1/2 cup - muscovado sugar (more or less)
5 tbsp - sunflower oil
4 tbsp - low fat yogurt
3/4 cup -1 cup - low fat milk
2 tbsp - crushed hazelnuts
1 tbsp - cocoa powder
1/2 tsp - baking powder
1/2 tsp - bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp - vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
100 ml - cream
100 gram - dark chocolate, finely chopped
white chocolate and milk chocolate curls
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C and grease a 20 cm round cake tin.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, soda, baking powder, salt and hazelnuts.
- In another bowl, mix well the yogurt, milk, oil and vanilla essence.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mix and tip in the liquid ingredients and mix lightly.
- Pour the batter in the greased cake tin and place the tin in the center of the preheated oven and bake for approx 30 minutes. Let the cake rest in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack and when completely cool, cut the cake horizontally through the middle.
- Place the cream and chocolate in a sauce pan and heat gently, stirring constantly, until the chocolate has melted.
- Pour onto a large bowl and using an electric hand whisk, beat the mixture for 7-8 minutes.
- Pour half of the choco-cream in between the 2 cake slices and then cover the cake with the rest and chill in the fridge
- Sprinkle the chocolate curls on the cake and serve.
Warm up the cake- slice in the microwave for 10 seconds and serve with a scoop of vailla ice-cream- tastes simply great.
A slice of chocolate cake - just for you :-)