Christmas is just round the corner and we have already started celebrating. Cakes, Scones, Cupcakes...oh the list is endless. Today is my dear hubby's birthday and I pampered him with a grand breakfast and made this cake for him. We both are die hard chocolate fans and we do love ginger a lot and hence this was the perfect cake for his birthday.
The cake is soft, moist and simply yumm. Ginger adds it own zing to the cake and together with custard sauce it was indeed very satisfying. The best and the most important thing is that the birthday boy was more than happy and that definitely made me a little extra happy :-)
4 tbsp heaped - whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tbsp - oat flakes
6 tbsp - honey
6 tbsp - sunflower oil
1 1/2 tsp - baking powder
3/4 tbsp - cocoa powder
a pinch of salt
100 grams - chocolate 55%, melted and cooled
1/2 tbsp - crystallised ginger, chopped
2 1/2 tsp - dried ginger powder (saunth)
1/2 cup - gingerale
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease a 15 cm round cake pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oat flakes, baking powder, cocoa powder, crystallised ginger, dried ginger powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mix well the honey and oil.
- Add the melted and cooled chocolate to the flour and rub lightly with finger tips until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the honey and oil mixture and then add the gingerale and mix lightly for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan.
- Place the pan in the center of the preheated oven and bake for approx 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan.
- Unmould and serve with custard sauce. (warm up the cake slice for a few seconds in the microwave and serve- tastes yumm)
With or without the warm custard sauce the cake tasted great...
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and loads of fun. We are going on a small holiday over Christmas, so will be with you again in a week or so.