Monday, January 10, 2011

Chocolate Yogurt

Having spend a good number of years in Kolkata, one tends to develop a liking toward the local food. Bengal is known for its food and especially its sweets. I, having a pretty sweet tooth, love almost all the Bengali Mithais. One such example is mishti doi (sweet yogurt).

Mishti doi is a popular dessert in Bengal and everyone at my place loves it. A few days back when I read about the Chocolate event at Jyoti's lovely blog, one line she wrote got stuck in my head. "What I am looking for is not cakes and cookies! I want you to go beyond that." Hmmm...I thought. And then an idea struck me when I was just about to hit the bed yesterday, why not try making chocolate yogurt. I've made mishti doi a quite a number of times. The process is simple and very excitedly I went to the kitchen and started preparing this dessert. 




My hubby who was fast asleep by then, came to the kitchen and was like "are you mad" :-)I just gave him a smile and said "Chocolate Doi" and he went again to sleep.



This morning, the first thing I did was to see if this recipe was a success or not - and when I saw the yogurt, I was really thrilled.

This tasted simply great and for me anything with chocolate is always a hit :-) Make it, you'll believe it. 




Ingredients

500 ml - low fat milk, 1.5% (this makes the yogurt slightly thin, use normal milk if you like thick yogurt)
1 1/2 tbsp - sugar (more or less)
40 grams - dark chocolate 70%, roughly broken
1 tbsp - plain yogurt

Method


  1. Mix the milk and the sugar and bring it to a boil.
  2. Reduce the heat and simmer the milk for 7 minutes.
  3. Add the roughly broken chocolate pieces and, stirring continuously, cook the milk until the chocolate melts completely.
  4. Simmer the milk again for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
  5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C for 10 minutes and switch off.
  6. When the milk is still slightly warm ( if you insert your finger in the milk and can hold it without getting burnt to the count of 10), add the yogurt and whisk well.
  7. Pour the milk in the glass jars and cover them with aluminum foil.
  8. Place the jars on the oven tray and place the tray in the center of the pre-heated oven. 
  9. I left the jars in the oven overnight and the yogurt was set by next morning.

A bite of this delicious chocolate yogurt, just for you :-)

I am being featured at Nithu's Kitchen today. 

Sending this delicious Chocolate Yogurt to Let's Celebrate Sweets- Chocolate, event hosted by Jyoti and started by Nivedita

Enjoy!

77 comments:

  1. Genius! That looks like chocolate pudding.. can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks really yummy! Might have to give this a try. Love the spoon in the pictures, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such an innovative idea...a new treat for the chocolate lovers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwww looks so delicious. awesome clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good. I love the jars in which you made the yogurt. They are so adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!!!!! A chocoholics delight, indeed :)


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. A chocolate yogurt looks delicious and nice easy recipe Rachana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love chocolate. Will refer this to my wife to make for me.:) Thanks and I have update my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my blog by the way - ootb-jaggu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want this jar, droolinggggggggg....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple yet delicious homemade chocolate yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woww thats definitely a delicious chocolate yogurt,thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Refreshing and tempting chocolate yogurt....

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks so delicious ..yummy one...

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh hooo drool that is so luscious and yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simple and delicious choco dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is cool..my husband is a bengali but he dosent like chocolate much..however I know what I have to treat myself with..looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quel délicieux dessert.
    Je note ta recette.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow..that's an interesting recipe...i am sure its delicious...usually i make curd at home so next time i will definitely give it a try..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. So creamy I am seriously drooling over it.. mmmmmmmmm the last picture tempts me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A real treat..interesting recipe,thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the way that you made these chocolate yogurt in these cute little jars.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have not seen any yoghurt like that...healthy and delicious. I'm sure all chocolate lovers will like this. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow.. Thats very innovative! Looks irresistible and I am loving it!
    Have a wonderful week ahead:-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very innovative and awesome Rachana!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks simply awesome :) I am sure I would love it since I am a mad fan of chocolate as well as curd :) yummyyyyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful... sinfully too good......

    ReplyDelete
  28. Chocolate curd is my fav...luks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome recipe!!! Looks so creamy & yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  30. Slurp! Nice flavour! Looks really chocolicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That chocolate curd looks really tempting...very creamy.:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good innovation...the chocolate doi looks sooooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow,..my son gonna luv this,..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, Rachana!! Simply genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow!wow!wow! hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful clicks and this looks so delicious.,.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful and yummy dessert! Silky smooth texture...

    ReplyDelete
  38. This looks really delicious. I never dreamed one could make a chocolate yogurt, so I'm amazed. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful idea !! Bookmarked, will try this one in summers :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. nver heard of this combo but sound delicious and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is new to me but love to try it soon..
    Gald to know abt you more from Nithu's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very innovative indeed..looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh those jars look soo cute with the Doi set so beautful!
    Wonderfully creative!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Delicious..Chocolate Doi... Mmmm......Can I have a pot?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gone thru your guest post at Nithus place. Loved your chocolate yogurt as well. I had tagged you earlier ( http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/2010/12/im-tagged.html). Please reply as per your convenience.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  46. nice trick , thanks for sharing.. i'll try for this..
    Please visit my blog..

    Lyrics Mantra
    Ghost Matter
    Download Free Music
    Music Bol

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thats absolutely innovative idea.. I have never made yoghurt here as it is so cold.. Had heard about keeping it in oven to set but never bothered to try.. I am glad you got the inspiration to try something so nice from my those words.. You wont believe it but when i had written the post.. I had thought of you. Chocolate and you seem inseparable:)

    ReplyDelete
  48. yummy n chocolatey... innovative simple n a must try... loved ur lil jars... i also need dem...

    ReplyDelete
  49. oh...wow...my mouth is watering...just looking at this..!
    excellent..!!!
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh My, these little ones look so good... would love to steal one from the pic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Mouthwatering'....what a creative idea...I totally love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  52. What an innovative recipe .Can't wait to try this as I love both chocolate and yogurt .

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am searching for another word for innovation...but cant find it. So, i will just say, innovative Rachana!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Well it's no secret that I have one serious sweet tooth as well and this looks fantastic! I love that it's a good dessert but not as bad for you as most.

    ReplyDelete
  55. such a wonderful idea! makes me think of chocolate mousse, but a healthy one.

    ReplyDelete
  56. That looks lovely! And oddly enough, I was just thinking that chocolate and yogurt would be a great combo...

    ReplyDelete
  57. Wow, you are a genious !!!! I am trying it this weekend. Loved the jars.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Oh, Meu Deus!
    Como eu gostaria de encolher e ficar do tamanho de uma mosca, subir para a beirada do vidro e mergulhar nesse maravilhoso iogurte!!!
    Delicioso!
    Beijos, Rachana!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Chocolate Misti doi....wow..rich luxuriant my god I am drooling..

    ReplyDelete
  60. Wow wow wow for me also any thing with chocolate any time too love this idea of chocolate misti doi.... looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Dear Rachana, had the yogurt, it was simply delicious! Keep up the good work!
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  62. woah...ur blog's rely awesome...juz for the chco-stuff...luv it!!hav a gr8 time!!!
    cheers
    vivs

    ReplyDelete
  63. Wow! Looks so yummy. Such a nice recipe to share with.

    ReplyDelete
  64. This looks too nice!!!

    Thank you for sharing

    ciao

    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  65. Yummmm your pictures are beautiful and your yagurts look delicious!
    I put you in my favorite blogs .. =)
    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  66. That surely is one chocolaty innovation! Love to make it a regular dessert in my home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hi Rachana, That looks absolutely yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  68. so yummy...feel like hungry again after lunch..

    ReplyDelete
  69. I tried it, n it came out very good. the consistency was also very nice. thanx 4 sharing a yummy n healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  70. This one instantly got my attention !! A keeper recipe .. bookmarked :)


    First time on your Blog, so glad to follow you :.. Stay in touch :)

    Love,
    Nupur

    ReplyDelete
  71. it looks very yummy. thnx for sharing

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails