Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stuffed Cucumber Curry

Have you ever had a writer's block? Well, I am facing this right now...I am sitting in front of my computer screen, wanting to write something special, a thousand ideas running through the brain, but somehow not able to write anything. Words do not seem to come to mind and I am just aimlessly looking at the screen, waiting for my brain to convert the ideas to words that I can put together into a meaningful sentence...but I still go on looking at the screen (this could be a long evening.....!)

Well, now, I'm giving up for the day and just jumping to today's recipe. 




Ingredients

1 - long cucumber

For the stuffing 


2 tbsp - gram flour (besan) 
1 - green chilli, chopped 
2 inch piece - ginger, peeled and finely chopped 
1/4 tsp - red chilli powder (more or less)
1/4 tsp - garam masala 
2 1/2 tbsp - sunflower oil 
1/4 tsp - dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) 
1/4 tsp - whole coriander seeds, roughly broken 
1 tbsp - lemon juice 
4 tbsp - fenugreek leaves (methi), chopped 
1 tbsp - coriander leaves, chopped 

salt to taste


For tempering 


2-3 tbsp - sunflower oil 
1/4 tsp - panch phoran ( a mix of fenugreek, cumin, fennel, mustard and nigella seeds)
a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)



Method
  1. Peel the cucumber. Cut a 2cm wide "window" into the cucumber with a margin of around 2 cms at both ends as well as the bottom (see photo) Remove the cut out part. 
  2. Rub some salt onto the cucumber all around.
  3. Add all the ingredients of the stuffing to a bowl and mix well.
  4. Fill in the stuffing into the cucumber Cut the cucumber into approx 5 cm long pieces. 
  5. Heat the oil in a pan, add the panch phoran and hing. When the seeds start to splutter, add the stuffed, cut cucumber pieces and cook on a low heat, turning the pieces carefully every couple of minutes until they are brown from all the sides. (the cooked cucumber should not be too soft)
  6. Serve hot with rice or rotis, or even as a starter!
Enjoy!

35 comments:

  1. So unusual, I have never seen it, it looks like a great idea!


    Ciao and have a great week,

    Alessandra

    http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tried anything with cucumber but always wanted to! This looks yum... Will definitely give a try soon!
    I am so happy to have you back, keep posting and have a wonderful day, Rachana:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique preparation with cucumber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just drooling over that delicious stuffed cucumber curry,simply inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. Stuffed cucumber looks amazingly delicious. Never seen such a unique preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea and wonderful preparation! Pefect for this hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an interesting dish! it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. tempting n yummy...looks droooooooolworthy..happy mothers day to u dear...
    sanyukta
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get this block most of the time and love this recipe ..so wonderful ...will try it out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats so stunning and wonderful stuffed curry,never tried cucumber this way..delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this recipe..so interesting and new...got to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting recipe.. looks really tempting and delicious.. thanks for sharing !! :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  13. such an interesting and irrestible one.perfect cooler for this hot weather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Writers Block..Always ..but some how try to scribble something ;)...
    Nice recipe and looks yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very new & interesting!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stuffed cucumber sounds interesting and unique..nice recipe..looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic Rachana this would be real treat veg lovers! Writers block! tell me about it...there are many days of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow..thats one interesting recipe...I have bookmarked it...gonna try this soon..:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. luv this unusual dish!! must try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy recipe... quite unique and unusual.. but looks delicious though:) A real treat... First time here and I enjoyed browsing around your blog... Glad to follow u.. :) keep posting some more yummy delicacies.. would love to read them and have a virtual visual [hope "writer's block" vanishes..:)]
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  21. New to me and so creative recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know exactly what you are talking about when you write about writer's block - I want to tell a funny or interesting tale with each of my posts, but often don't know quite what to write - but I will write this on your post - I simply LOVE the way you've used cucumbers - it is new and it is bold and intensely appealing! I am bookmarking this to try soon. Cheers, Priya

    ReplyDelete
  23. yum! I have never tried cooked cucumbers! These ones sound delicious with a very tasty filling.

    ReplyDelete
  24. unusal n interesting preperation...
    will definately ask mom to try...

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow.. thats a stunning plate.. So new to me

    New to your space and Happy to follow u

    Do visit me as time permits
    http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. so new to me! Thanks Rachana!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog...I am having a giveaway in my blog..Y dont you check and join that
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/05/chocolate-recipe-and-chocolate.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Innovative idea. Love this yummy stuffed cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is new to me... will try it...

    ReplyDelete

  30. Hi!

    I'm your follower.

    I really love your blog!

    Keep up the good work!

    Do visit mine too at
    http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog...I am having a giveaway in my blog..Y dont you check and join that
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/05/chocolate-recipe-and-chocolate.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. shanta bhattacharjee01 June, 2011 09:06

    very very nice

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails