Friday, August 12, 2011

Gatte ki Sabji (Traditional Rajasthani Curry)

After seeing my last post “Mozzarella Sage Ice Cream”, one of my cousins called me up and said, " I don't like Mozzarella!" and before I could say something, she added, "Can’t you post something simple and traditional next time?" "Okkk", I said, and thought "What that suppose to mean?" and then, after our regular this and that, here and there chat, she said, "And, please no more avocado recipes"  


I took a deep long breath and thought and thought and then went through my drafts and chanced upon this curry recipe. This is a traditional Rajasthani curry (though not the simplest one!) and is one of my favourites. This recipe is by my lovely mom :-) and has a lot of memories attached to it. Without going into all of them, I’ll just share one little secret. My hubby who generally eats everything under the sun, was somehow not too fond of this curry since his childhood – even though his mom was famous for it. When I made this curry for the very first time, my hungry hubby came to the dining table and saw this curry and said "Oh, you made gatta today", he said, he would just have one bite of gatta, because I made it, otherwise he is not too fond of it. I said, "Don't, if you don't like it", he repeated, "I'll have a bite" with a smile on his face. He had his first bite and I had mine, he had his second and third, while I was still on my first bite (i'm a slow eater) and soon the curry was over. And believe me when I say this, that I did not get much of that curry that day :-) From that day onwards, we have a convert at home :-)

Go ahead and make this curry, I promise you will not be dissapointed. And, I hope my cousin is not dissapointed in me :-)

Ingredients

100 grams - gram flour (besan)
1/2 tsp - salt
1/2 tsp - red chilli powder
1/8 tsp - garam masala powder
1 1/2 tbsp - oil
1/2 tsp - kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
yogurt to knead the dough

For the gravy

2 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp - sunflower oil/ghee
1/4 tsp - fennel seeds (saunf)
1/8 tsp - nigella seeds (kalonji)
a generous pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1 - bayleaf
3 tbsp - low fat yogurt
1/4 tsp - red chilli powder (more or less)
1/2 tsp - turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp - dried mango powder (aamchur)
1 tsp - coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
a generous pinch of garam masala
salt to taste
1/4 tsp - dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) + to garnish

Method
  1. Mix together the besan, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala and kasuri methi in a bowl. Add the oil and rub with the fingertips until it resembles fine bread crunbs. Add yogurt spoon by spoon and make a hard dough. 
  2. Divide the dough into 4 parts and roll out into cylinders.
  3. Boil 4-5 cups of water in a deep pan.
  4. Add the cylinders (rolled out gatte) to the boiling water and boil for approx 15 - 20 minutes or until you see small white spots on the gatta.
  5. Drain and let the gatta cool before cutting them into small pieces. Do not discard the boiled gatta water. 
  6. Mix together the yogurt, red chilli powder, haldi powder, aamchur, dhaniya powder, garam masala powder, salt and kasuri methi in a bowl and keep aside.
  7. Heat 2 1/2 tbsp of oil in a pan and saute the gatte for a few minutes and remove from the heat.
  8. Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the saunf and kalonji. When the seeds start to crackle, add the hing and bayleaf. Add the yogurt mix and cook on a medium heat, stirring continously. When it starts to boil, add the gatte and cook again for a couple of minutes.
  9. Add the reserved gatta water to correct the consistency of the gravy and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat. 
  10. Garnish with dried fenugreek leaves and serve hot with phulka (indian bread) and kadhi or even with Daal bati

Enjoy!

34 comments:

  1. Hey Rachana,
    The gatte ka saag is one of my favorites, my mouth is watering... Gaon ki yaad dila di!!
    I just love this and to tell you a secret I am also fond of just the gatta!!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow its a nice yummy treat...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried a curry with gatte and don't remember being too fond.. but this kadhi looks so good that i've got to give it another try. Maybe you can add one more convert to your list. Bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have to try this now,this one is hubby's fav:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creamy and delicious gravy... new to me,sure must have tasted super yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely gravy do participate in the ongoing event and send me some delicious recipes of yours and get a chance to win a gift :)
    A Girl's Diary
    Event:
    What's On Your Kebab Platter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard abt this a lot...looks very inviting

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this rajasthani specialty...Had it once at a function n this looks just like it...Thx gurl..Will give this a try!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious looking and flavourful gatte ki sabji. Amazing preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Havent had this gatte ki sabji,but heard lot about it,simply inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks wonderful will surely book mark and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please, MORE avocado reciepes :D

    EAK

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gatte !! Oh this is so a damn tasty dish and i love it !! As you know its a traditional dish of Rajasthan so i can say its my luck that i visited your blog today after so many days !! Great Post !!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loveeee gatte ki subji...major drooling over here ;p

    ReplyDelete
  15. humm this gravy looks delicious!
    It's a full of flavour.. ;)
    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious!

    ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks creamy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow wat a tempting clicks,makes me hungry now...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very yummy yummy recipe..will try this for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  20. The curry is making me hungry... this along with some daal baati would be heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is my hands down favorite curry from Rajasthani cuisine ~ very nicely done n presented!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  22. This one of my fav curries.. But.. my hubby doesnt like it.. Haven't made them in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wish you and your family a very Happy Janamasthami Rachana:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey!
    Nice space you have here..This sabzi si so delicious. I remember one of my friends used to make it.

    http://weddingonthecards.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. no wonder your hubby fall in love with this curry, look so tempting and delicious. Too bad , i can't try this as many spices i dont know where to get it. Anyway, Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is why i blog hop ! Sounds very special and very new to me ! I am making it, thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for a great time visiting your site. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed.

    website hosting india

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Buddy, Your webpage is really style as fresh and fantastic and the details of your web page is very exciting, I really experienced it and I also want more details about this, thanks for discussing.
    Car Keys

    ReplyDelete
  29. no wonder your husband drop madly in really like with this curry, look so attractive and delightful. Too bad , i can't try this as many spices or herbs i don't know where to get it. Anyway, Thanks for discussing your mothers formula.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I subscribed to your rss feed though and will certainly keep following your writing and possibly down the road I may chime in once again in much more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Delightful looking and flavourful gatte ki sabji. Awesome planning.
    Internet Marketing in london

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails