Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chocolate Cinnamon Christmas Cookies

This time around, inspired by the christmas spirit and by the lovely smells of the season, I baked a whole lot of cookies. My hubby and I decided, rather than the two of us eat up all of them and get fat - he takes some to his office and I would give some to my friends.So after finishing the daily chores, I finally got the time in the evening, after dinner, when my hubby was lost reading a book and I was in the cookie dough :-)


By the time, I finished baking these, it was past midnight. Actually, I like baking in the night, after finishing the rest of the work, that's when I can concentrate best. I do not have to think about anything else, do not have to attend phone calls, which is generally when I tend to lose the track of time.


Before packing the cookies in their respective boxes, I tasted one and was really happy with the outcome, I could have easily had a few more, but resisted the temptation. Actually, I did not want my friends to have less, you see ;-)

This recipe is adapted from the Weihnachts B├Ąckerei, a German recipe book that I borrowed from a friend.


These cookies were so good that I have been already asked to make them again. Now that definitely is a good sign, isn't it? :-)

Ingredients


50 grams - chocolate 70%, finely grated
250 grams - all purpose flour (maida)
100 grams - blanched almond powder
100 grams - castor sugar
175 grams - cold butter
2 tbsp - milk
1 tsp - cinnamon powder

1 tbsp - cocoa powder
1 tsp - dried ginger powder (saunth)
a pinch of salt


For rolling -  1 tbsp cocoa powder + 4 tbsp vanilla sugar, mixed together in a bowl


Method

  1. Mix together the flour, almond powder, castor sugar, cinnamon powder, dried ginger powder, salt, cocoa powder and finely grated chocolate in a bowl.
  2. Add the small pieces of cold butter and the milk into the flour mix and rub together with the fingers until it forms itself into a dough.
  3. Make 2 rolls out of the dough. Cover the rolls with plastic wraps and let them chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C and line a baking tray with a baking paper.
  5. Take out the dough from the refrigerator, remove the plastic wrap, cut the rolls into small pieces, flatten each piece slightly, give a slight fork impression on the center of each cookie(optional) and place them on a lined baking tray.
  6. Place the tray in the center of the preheated oven and bake for 15 - 18 minutes.
  7. Take out the tray from the oven and immediately roll each cookie in the cocoa-vanilla sugar mixture and place them on a wire rack to cool completely before storing.


Enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. Perfectly shaped crispy cookies for the Season:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the almond and chocolate combo, looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. u hav a nice site ....Happy to follow u !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cookies...Chocolate and almond in cookies, thast a great combination.will try it out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. perfectly shaped and fabulous... cookies lookk absolutely delicious... thanks for sharing..bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious and lovely looking cookies. Awesome clicks.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious chocolate cookies with cinnamon touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate n cinnamon absolutely pairing combination..looks tempting n yummy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I cant take my eyes off them, an absolute treat for the festive season! Always love your presentation, the cookies look irresistible.. no wonder you have been asked to make them again :)

    Have a wonderful week ahead, Rachana :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome cookies... great clicks as usual...
    i really liked the cookies box... amazing presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very cute ..nice pic n cookie

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound super delicious! I think there need to be more chocolate cinnamony treats in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eggless cookies! This one is surely for me!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect cookies and lovely clicks!!!

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect looking cookings for the season

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow wat an aromatic and scrumptious cookies,looks stunning Rachana..

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely cookies... looks so rich and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chocolate, cinnamon and that touch of almonds! what a heavenly combo! Lovely cookies, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great looking cookies...The house must have a lovely spicy scent at midnight..Ahhh Heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful cookies. I love the ginger and cinnamon..warming and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rachana, the cookies look fabulous! I cannot believe that today marks one year since I met you in Munich. It was so great meeting you in person, and I'm STILL addicted to scones!! Best decision ever to go to that tearoom :) Wish you a happy holiday, and hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rachana,
    Those looks so delicious and that too eggless wow!..convey my wishes to your sis..read about in previous post..and BTW the molten lava cake looks very scrumptious..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very Tempting! Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Quiet a different cookie, they look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. new combo...have 2 try

    happy new year 2 you n ur family also

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails