Sunday, December 4, 2011

Spelt Shortbread

For me, cooking and baking is a stress buster, it really helps me to keep my calm. A little while ago, I was really in a foul mood, so bad, that, my head was hurting me. I thought, if I don't do something, this bad day could turn into a very bad day. 


So, of course, I went into the kitchen. Took out the baking tray, whole wheat flour (aata), all purpose flour (maida), baking powder, sugar, oil and even butter (which I normally do not use much in my baking) but, then without doing anything, I left the kitchen, went to the study, turned on the computer, thought this would help. I started organising the desktop, deleting unwanted mails, when suddenly my eyes fell on an email from my friend with the subject "Shortbread". I opened it, read it, went to the kitchen and started making it. While making it, believe me, I did not for once think about what happened a while ago, and got busy making the shortbread.



Thanks to this good friend of mine, who gave me this recipe, I was back to normal that day. Oh, by the way, the smell that emanates from the oven, when this lovely shortbread is being baked, definitely made me very happy :-)


Ingredients

125 gram - spelt flour (you can also make it with maida instead of spelt flour)
50 gram - cornflour
15 gram - semolina (suji)
125 gram - butter unsalted at room temperature
70 gram - sugar
a pinch of salt
castor sugar (optional)

Method
  1. Add the sugar and the butter to a bowl and mix well with your hands.
  2. Add the semolina, cornflour, spelt flour (you can also use maida instead of spelt flour) and salt in another bowl and mix.
  3. Add the flour mixture, a little at a time and mix in with the butter, by the end, you will get a soft dough. 
  4. Put the dough in a small rectangular baking tray and press the dough, with the palm of your hand and level it using an inverted small flat botommed bowl or cup (I used a stainless stell bowl). Alternately, you can also roll out the dough using a rolling pin and transfer the rolled out dough on to a baking tray. (the former method is quicker and fuss-free)
  5. Using a knife, cut to the size you wish to have. (My shortbread pieces were 2.5 cm wide and 5 cms long). Don't forget to prick the dough with a fork.
  6. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 degrees C for 38-40 minutes. 
  7. Let the tray rest in the oven for 2 minutes, take out the tray and immediately, cut again where you cut previously to seperate the biscuits and prevent breaking. 
  8. Sprinkle a little castor sugar on the top of the shortbread and let it cool completely before storing it an air tight container. 


Enjoy!

37 comments:

  1. Did you create this recipe by yourself? Wow! Love the unique composition of these shortbread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread looks sooo tempting! I feel like picking one right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super looking bread....Awesome clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy with beautiful clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very delicious bread with excellent click :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cooking is really a stress buster, i agree...
    Nice recipe...bread looks tempting and delicious.... beautiful clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. loos so delectable :)
    lovely clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful recipe. looks so crumbly and such a melt in mouth consistency

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks perfect, sounds interseting too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome click makes this shortbread more tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow wat a healthy shortbread looks super interesting and prefect..

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks very nice!! shortbread is tempting

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow spelt flour is very new to me...but this short bread luks awesome....luv the clicks so perfect...


    Am hosting a series event on SPICES starting this month...let me knw if you would like to guest host in future months...


    SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" Series - CARDAMOM (Dec 5th to Jan 5th)
    LGSS -"Tomato" - Nov 5th to Dec 5th
    100 Friends/Followers & GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  14. spelt flour is new to me as well.. but luks so tempting!mouth watering pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tempting shortbread...I am drooling over ur clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delicious shortbread Rachana.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rachana- first time on your blog, love the recipe, story behind the recipe and the blog :)

    Hope to hear back from you as well on my blog and be in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds wonderful and different! Nice bake...loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely marvellous. Bread looks yummy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful spelt treat. They sound really delicious and healthy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks so delicious..bookmarked this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  22. First time on your blog.
    I like your blog and the delicious recipe.
    Thank you very much Rachna.

    If you like Hindi blogs,please visit mine also.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The shortbread is very soft and spongy! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks delicious. It appears more moist than standard shortbread, but I wager it is delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very interesting twist on regular shortbread!! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Yeah I agree, the smell of something baking-as you enter into the house..mmmm..shortcake looks delicious gal..How is it over there? We are in freezing temp today..

    ReplyDelete
  27. absolument merveilleux et tentant bravo
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  28. I still don't have a clue about spelt flour; these cookies look so delicious and full of crumbly buttery goodness, they would be perfect for an afternoon of tea and cookies (AND GOOD MOOD!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. jab yaha aao to le ke aana...
    H.G.F E.O.A.D

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am pleased to become your 301 th follower.
    Would you like to become the follower of my blog too? I would be happy to see you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails