Friday, January 6, 2012

Aloo Dum - Spicy potatoes and away for a month

Aloo dum is one of my favourite starters /snacks. In my hometown, Kolkata, it's also a favourite street food, and, of course, I happen to be a big fan of street food.


Normally I do not eat too much chilli. This is, however, one of the few recipes which I love in spite of it's high chilli content. The dish is spicy and tangy and simply mouthwatering. But a word of warning - whenever I eat this, I always keep a bottle of water and some Kleenex handy. The eating ritual is a classic - I take one bite and then a sip of water, and then another bite, then a quick nose wipe with the kleenex, then another bite, and another sip of water - you get the picture, I guess. My face soon turns red and eyes watery, but still I enjoy this as much as anything else. My sis and bro always pull my leg afterward, but it's worth it! My love for this dish overpowers my lack of tolerance for spicy food.


Of course, the original recipe would have one fry the potatoes - but I generally do a baked version.

I love this one, and I hope you like it too!


Ingredients

500 grams - baby potatoes (or if you don't get them, really small potatoes), boiled and peeled
6 tbsp - sunflower oil + to grease the baking tray
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
4 bay leaves
2 tbsp - coriander powder
2 tbsp - tamarind pulp (adjust according to your taste)
2 tsp - salt (or according to taste)

To be coarsely ground together using little water:

60 grams - garlic, peeled and chopped
6 pieces - whole red chillies
2-3 inches of ginger
1 tbsp - cumin seeds

To garnish:
rock salt, lemon juice according to taste and loads of finely chopped coriander leaves 

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Grease the baking tray with a little oil. Place the potatoes and mix lightly so that the oil coats the potatoes. 
  2. Place the tray in the center of the preheated oven and bake until slightly golden (alternately you can also fry the potatoes). 
  3. Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, bay leaves and the coarsely ground paste. Be careful as the paste splutters a lot. 
  4. Saute the paste on a medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add the coriander powder and salt and cook for another 10 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. 
  5. Add the baked potatoes. Mix lightly, cover the bowl and let it cook for 10 mins, stirring occassionaly. 
  6. Add the tamarind pulp. cover and let cook for another couple of minutes. 
  7. Remove from the heat, but leave the pan covered. To enhance the taste and the flavours, prepare afew hours in advance (previous evening for today, or in the morning for the evening. 
  8. Serve at room temperature, after garnishing with the rock salt, lemon juice and coriander leaves (garnish just before eating!). 

Enjoy the potatoes - while I enjoy a prolonged India trip. Will be away for a month, will be in touch with you again in February.

48 comments:

  1. Ok, now that does look amazing & from your description I could imagine myself doing the same, haha!
    Street food & chaat is sooooooo super tempting & addictive, I swear! I'm going to try this Aloo Dum this weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I want this plate, gal this Aloo DUm looks hummm yummmmm :))

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks wonderful..so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all these flavors.... have a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely presented and looks superb! Have a safe and enjoyable trip dear...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love spicy food anytime. if that comes with my fav potato...I never say NO. Very yummy and super clicks. Enjoy your India trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow thats an amazing dish! looks too good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloo dum looks simply superb. Wonderful color .
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know i will like this too. Have a nice trip and looking forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tempting and awesome. Have a safe journey and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great and mouth watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Dum Aloo is one of my favorites too Rachana! Your pics are as good as real, I am getting real hungry!!
    Enjoy your India trip, Have a safe and happy journey:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply tasty and yummy dear..have a great holiday and hope to see more recipe from ur kitchen soon take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I soooo...loved this version of aloo dum!!! Bookmarked!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this yummy mouth watering dish.. perfect clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  16. WHat a tantalizing recipe... absolutely tempting

    ReplyDelete
  17. malgré l'heur tardive cette préparation me met en appétit
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just mouthwatering...looks so yummy & delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your nice and healthy version baked version of Aloo Dum! Have a lovely holiday and see you next month.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Damn tempting and super inviting dum aloo,full of flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a fabulous trip and thanks for leaving us with this great recipe!

    I think potatoes are the perfect pairing for such intense spice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too have low tolerance Rachana, but your pic make me drool and give it a try ...after all it is winter who would want spark of chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We can eat spicy stuff but not sweet, this one is so tempting and lovely pict!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mouth-watering.. Its awesome, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG..that is one mean bowl of goodness!Loved the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear, I know you are away. I am announcing Valentines Special – my 1st blog event and a Giveaway.!. Please do be a part of it and send in your recipes..! :) Please try and find sometime to join us.. will be great ..!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I forgot to come back & tell you that I made these!

    AND I LOVED IT! LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!

    I don't know if your potatoes are yellowish (mine weren't) coz of baking (I didn't bake) or coz of haldi - but anyway this Aloo Dum goes in my favorites list!!!

    Spicy, sweet, salty, tangy - yummmmmmmmyyyyyyy!!!! :D :D

    Thanks for sharing, Rachana!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am going to make them tmrw. Enjoy ur long trip to India..and best wishes to your sis on her wedding! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey u have been tagged.. please visit http://jbabel.blogspot.com/2012/01/tag-and-some-things-about-me.html.. I hope u will do the tag.. Cheers

      Delete
  29. Yummyyyy...mouthwatering...kab bana ke khila rahi ho.It reminds me of lake aloo dum. Amazing clicks and presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aludom looks spicy, delicious, yummy and tempting. Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rachana, do me a favor - make me a whole pot of this before you go :) Looks mouth watering yum dear!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just hoped in here for the first time,must say a worth stopping,beautiful collection of recipes,this one particularly looks very delicious and enticing...

    Street food is any day yes for me,lovely post..

    Njoy Blogging n Happy Cooking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alo dum has dum....
      ahmedabadonnet.com

      Delete
  33. looking damn yummy
    had it yesterday and was the same

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hope you are having a great trip to Rachana. Even I was off blog for the last few weeks, only just am getting back again. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Delicious n mouthwatering aloo dum. Sounds yummy and spicy.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Hema's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love dum aloo!! Looks delicious. Hope you've had a great trip to India :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. It looks delicious.
    I hope you are enjoying your trip to India!

    ReplyDelete
  38. i like dum aloo and ur version is wonderful .try it soon
    1st time here .do visit my site

    ReplyDelete
  39. A mouthwatering dish. Looks spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Rachana wonderful recipe....have bookmarked to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I made them y'day n took it to my cousin's place too... everyone simply loved it... Never knew i would be able to make it also... Thanx for sharing such a mouth watering recipe... :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails