Monday, May 28, 2012

Baked Malpua

It's been quite a while that I updated a recipe. Of late I have been a little less inspired and just did not feel like myself. Hence, this space of mine has been neglected.

A big warm hug and thank you to all of you for your love and mails. I will try and post more regularly. 


As you all know, both my hubby and I are dessert people. We follow the motto: "Never say no to sweets". And, I often try out new desserts, sweets, cakes etc... Today, I am posting a baked version of a very famous Indian sweet, "Malpua", a rich soft fried pancake with rich saffron flavours. 


My hubby had the first bite and he said, " Mmm malpua... and that too baked...awesome." That was sheer music to my ears and I thought I better share this with my friends. I hope you like it as much as we did.


Ingredients

1 cup - whole wheat flour
5 tbsp - muscovado sugar
1 tsp - cardamom powder
1/4 cup - low fat milk
1/2 cup - low fat buttermilk
1/2 tsp - baking powder
1/4 tsp - bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp - sunflower oil
a pinch of salt


Sugar syrup
I forgot to write down the exact measurements for the sugar syrup. We need just enough to drizzle over the baked malpua that it becomes moist.

For garnishing


1 tbsp -edible gum resin (gond)
1 tbsp - clarified butter (ghee)
6 pieces - almonds, chopped roughly
1 tbsp - blanched pistachio, finely chopped
saffron strands





Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease a bun tray.
  2. In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix.
  3. In another bowl, add the milk, buttermilk and oil and mix.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and tip in the liquid mix and mix lightly.
  5. Spoon the batter into the greased bun tray and place the tray in the centre of the preheated oven.
  6. Bake for approx 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
  7. Let the malpua cool in the tray for a couple of minutes. Take out the malpua out of the tray, invert them and prick the top with a fork. Drizzle the sugar syrup over the top and press gently. 
  8. Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan on a medium heat, add the gond and stirring continously fry the gond. They will fluff up really quickly and will be of almost double the size. Remove them with the help of a spoon. Make sure you do not burn them. Keep aside on a plate
  9. Place some gond on top of the malpua along with chopped pistachio, almonds and saffron strands. Serve immediately. 



They taste the best when warm.



Cheers!


25 comments:

  1. looks so delicious..lovely clicks dear!
    Spicy-Aroma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back Rachana.. My very innovative of you to try a baked malpua.. Would like to hv it with cold Rabri..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious Rachana

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been so long since I had them,,they look delicious,,,:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect for sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh looks awesome... and baked too! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely version, am scared to try malpua coz of deepfrying in ghee, cant wait to try this baked ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very good... that too healthy. Love it. The pictures look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. super good n healthy...
    yummy...great presentation as ever...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would be perfect for potluck parties...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great preparation,super yum

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful!! I adore malpuas but frying them is such a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a nice space and I am ur new follower. Do visit my site when you get time :)
    Participate in the ongoing giveaway:
    Pearl Earrings Giveaway Announcement

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi rachna, i am a regular visitor of your blog, again u posted a non fried healthy option for sweets.
    I am a few days old in this blogging word. please do check my blog and leave some comment or suggestion so that i can improve myself.

    thanks

    paricash

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is this alternative of "Laddo" or something like that ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. …Having the right information you can do great quality execute at many more factors and create less errors while doing it……
    Car Keys

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow this is like kids food,thank u for sharing
    http://www.unnatisilks.com/
    online womens wear
    online designer sarees
    online wedding saris
    online party wear saris

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails