Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Momos with spicy tomato dip

It's been really long since I've updated the blog but finally I got my mojo back and hope to blog regularly. A warm hug to all of you for your mails and concern. I am hale and hearty, was just a little occupied with other activities in my life. I conducted a cooking course, "Modern Indian Cooking" and that kept me really busy. This was my first step, going in front of the people and teaching them what I love doing and am passionate about. The course went really well and that's a huge motivation.


I made momos a few days ago, when it snowed here. Yes, the first snow of the season, which is always a happy sight for me. We took a stroll in the neighborhood. 


Isn't it beautiful!! I love snow! I love these cold days! I am a winter baby :-)


Ingredients

For the Momo Wrapper
1 cup - all purpose flour
1/4 tsp - salt
1 tsp -
sunflower oil 
water to knead the dough 


For the Filling
1/2 cup - onions, finely chopped
1/3 cup - capsicum, finely chopped
1/2 cup heaped - brown mushrooms, finely chopped
1/3 cup heaped - carrots, peeled and finely chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/3 cup heaped - zucchini, finely chopped
2 tsp - light soya sauce
2 tsp - chili sauce
1/8 cup - coriander leaves, finely chopped
2 tbsp - ginger, peeled and grated
1 1/2 tbsp - sunflower oil
salt and pepper to taste


For the Dip
2 - tomatoes, medium sized
1/3 cup - onions
1/4 cup - capsicum green coloured
1 - green chili (optional)
1 1/2 tbsp - ginger, peeled
1 tbsp - lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

2 tbsp - coriander leaves 


Method


For the Filling

1. Heat the oil in to a non stick pan, add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes,on medium heat add the garlic and saute again for a minute.
2. Add the mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, ginger and capsicum and cook on medium heat until soft.
3. Add the sauces, salt, pepper and coriander leaves and cook for a couple of minutes. Keep aside.

For the Dip
Put all the ingredients in a mixer and grind coarsely. 


For the Momo wrapper


1. Add the salt and flour into a bowl. Add the oil and mix. Add water gradually and knead well to make a hard dough.Knead for a couple of minutes.
2. Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
4. Roll out each portion into a 8 cm diameter circle to make a even momo wrapper.
5. Put approx 1 tbsp of the filling in the centre of the momo wrapper.
6. Apply the water along the edges and fold over to make a semi circle.
7. Pinch at the outer rim.
8. Repeat with the remaining momo wrappers.
9. Arrange the momos in a greased steamer plate and steam for 5 minutes on high heat and 7-8 minutes on medium heat.
10. Serve hot with the dip.




These momos are easy to make and taste really good. Perfect for the season.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on ur cooking class...Momos look super tempting and I loved the presentation...Beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supe momos with tangy sauce... I am having a visual treat and feeling hungry here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice pics
    tempting momos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachana, Good to see you back... You just disappeared after your Thailand trip.. Hope u had a great one.. I was looking forward to some updates from there.. I learnt making momos from my younger sis on my visit this year.. like the version of your dip.. Hope to see more happening here..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely snaps Rachana...me too love winters :)) Momos looks awesome...yummyyyy!!!

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Momos with tomato dip... the combo sounds awesome.. Lovely post..:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely clicks rachana. i love the tomato dip too...I have had dips made with tomato garlic and red chilli nad vinegar ground to a smooth chutney. there was this amazing momo place in bangalore. now i am drooling...

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent snaps. Remember the morning and evening walks in these pagdandis(small roads) in munich. Momos are tempting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails